Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Labor of Love

There’s only one profession where you can be both teacher and student, the judge and the jury, landlord and housekeeper, chef and waiter, detective and private investigator, coach, referee and cheerleader, bodyguard and prison guard, doctor and emergency room nurse, personal shopper and fashion critic, chauffeur and driving instructor, and financial advisor as well as collection agent. The duties and titles for this profession are used interchangeably, and quite often, simultaneously. Although this profession does not offer a salary, it can be quite rewarding. It’s a profession that requires nearly two decades of internship, but results in no formal certification or degree. Ideally, this profession involves a lifelong co-worker to assist with the responsibilities attached to success in the role. The profession is Parenting. The job title is either Mother or Father depending on ones gender. I am proud to be a Mother.

This role is not one to be taken lightly. The responsibilities are far too great. From the moment I heard my eldest son’s first cry, I knew that the magnitude of the journey ahead was far greater than I had imagined. This innocent child who reluctantly entered our world had no choice but to go home with me. He was defenseless, needy, helpless, and vulnerable. It was up to us—his parents, to give him what he needed in order to survive, and later, thrive. The position that I applied for and accepted is “Mother.” Of all the positions that I have had over the years, “Mother” is the title that I am most proud to hold.

You see, it’s so much more than having a baby. It doesn’t take much to do that. It’s raising a child in a safe environment, nurturing, teaching, caring, sharing, loving, sacrificing and being selfless. It’s tough love, long hugs, long talks, and discipline. It’s setting expectations and providing encouragement. It’s believing in their dreams and lending support. It’s offering a shoulder to cry on or being someone to cry with. It’s earning respect and ensuring that it’s given for a lifetime, and giving respect when it is due. Ah, the thrill of Motherhood! It’s challenging and complex and at times, it’s simple and uncomplicated. It requires that we give without expecting any personal reward. We give, expecting that our children will get more, be more, and do more as a result of what we gave…or gave up.

As a young woman awaiting the birth of my firstborn, I thought labor was the most difficult part of the experience. I was wrong. It was only preparation for the task ahead. It was preparation for the sleepless nights I spent worrying if he was still breathing and the soft bounces as I rest his head against my shoulder to comfort him while teething. It was the excitement of his first steps and the fear I felt when he had his first fall. It's the frustration of potty training and the aggravation of cleaning the floor around the toilet when he missed the big hole in the center. I can't forget about the anticipation on his first day of school and the stress of his first day as a latch key kid. It's the pride associated with admission into all honors courses as a freshman in high school, and the difficulty in knowing when to push harder and expect more, or when to accept that what they've done is their best. It's the fear in trusting that you have instilled enough to get them through their first crush and their first rejection, as well as their first test of peer pressure...knowing one decision could change their lives forever. The list goes on and on, but I wouldn't trade the job for anything. It's hard work, but it's a labor of love.

Today is the day that my oldest son was born. I'd like to think that in working to ensure that he grows up to be a great man, I too have become a better woman. I'm proud to be his mother, and I couldn't ask for a better son.

No comments:

Post a Comment