Friday, June 26, 2009

Remembering a Legend

Two of my most prized possessions during my childhood were my Michael Jackson posters that I purchased with my allowance. They hung prominently on the wall on my side of the room. I was a part of the Pepsi generation…because of Michael. I can remember wishing I had money for one of those Michael Jackson jackets, but settled for a cheap imitation of the glove. I tuned into the television to watch every new video he crafted. The Thriller video solidified my belief that he was amazing! I wouldn’t miss an opportunity to see him make an appearance at an awards show and would stop in my tracks to gaze at his picture on a magazine cover. If that weren’t enough, there was Motown 25—his performance in a word, unforgettable.
To write about him posthumously is quite surreal. For although he was one of the greatest singers to ever hold a microphone, one of the best songwriters to pen a hit record, and the best performer to ever grace a stage, he was the furthest thing from my mind until yesterday. He’d sort of made his way into the recesses of my mind. Don’t get me wrong, if I were surfing the radio for a tune and heard any two notes from Billie Jean, Remember the Times, Man in the Mirror, PYT, Thriller, or any of the other anthems, I’d immediately turn up the volume and sing along while driving. If I were home, I might even throw in a few of the dance moves for good measure. However, I just didn’t have a reason to think about how amazing he really was as an artist.
Michael Jackson the artist was perfection. He wrote songs that had meaning…Beat it, Black or White, Heal the World…I could go on forever. After writing the songs, he sung them with passion. You could feel the emotion that he wanted you to feel. If you don’t believe it, go back and listen to She’s Out of My Life. He didn’t stop there. He put together award winning videos to bring the words of his songs to life. The videos were, and still are, unparalleled. Michael didn’t live on yesterday’s laurels; he kept trying to take his craft to the next level. He wanted to give his fans something new, different, better than before. His work was never a disappointment. If we were all willing to work as hard as Michael, I’m sure we’d be better at whatever it is we are doing.
Sometimes it takes death to make us realize the value of a life. This is one of those times. Legendary, Iconic, Hall of Famer, Greatest of All Time, Musical Genius, these are the words that I will use to describe his life and legacy. I will also remember to say a prayer for those who will remember him as son, father, brother, uncle, and friend.
Rest in Peace Michael.

1 comment: